Tuesday, July 28, 2015

How i came up with Urban Owl sunglasses

I always tried to incorporate classic and retro elements into my everyday life. Retro style accessories felt much more personal and unique almost as if they were custom made. I used to find items like these in antique shops in London and Athens and I was particularly intrigued by sunglasses.

Τhe problem I dealt with, was that while the craftsmanship was excellent, the materials used and especially the lenses where obsolete, compared to the state of the art materials that can be used today.

The solution was clear! I had to find a way to reproduce these iconic timeless sunglasses, modernize them in a sense, without losing the classic-retro flair but with the best materials and craftsmanship.

The most vital part of a pair of sunglasses are the lenses. Having spent most of my life in Greece with at least 300 days of sunshine yearly, I didn’t want to compromise with ordinary lenses that are used by all the popular brands.

After an extensive research in the field of lenses and optics my team developed a new lens combining a special tint with HD Blue Control features. With this new lens we achieve High Definition vision without any color distortion, providing unparalleled sharpness.

At this point i only needed to find a suitable manufacturer to produce prototypes. That was the time i started to be thinking Greek. I wanted to present a Greek product in order to differentiate from the common practice of producing in China.

By producing in Greece I want:
  • to leverage the quality of the product 
  • to prove that Greeks can achieve high class quality
  • to inspire more Greeks to produce in Greece, instead of imigrating
  • to support the Greek economy by giving jobs to Greek people
I hope my project of #sunglassesforGreece will inspire not only Greeks but also other European young people to go after their dreams.

Check our new Urban Owl website with the crowdfunding campaign that will start tomorrow. www.urbanowl.eu 

No comments:

Post a Comment